Jones Chapel Baptist Church
The Jones Chapel Baptist Church was organized in 1896 under the leadership of Reverend S. J. Murph and Reverend Marsh Thompson. The first wooden structure was built shortly after the organization of the church. The original cornerstone was placed in the wooden structure in October 1943.
Records indicate that Brother Marshall Jones for whom the church was named donated this property. The records also indicate that the Reverend Marsh Thompson presided over the first called meeting of Jones Chapel.
According to records, Reverend Marsh Thompson served as pastor until Reverend Bendy Logan became the first full-time pastor. In addition to the aforementioned pastors, the following ministers also served. They were: Reverend S. Benjamin, Reverend J. Box, Reverend June Mitchell, Reverend H. N. Arell, Reverend Sam Daniels, Reverend W. N. Stevenson, Reverend C. D. Salley, Reverend L. R. Rush, Reverend Ed Smith, Reverend M. C. Curry, Reverend J. D. Brown, Reverend Jack D. Dash, Reverend C. L. Ulmer (1961 - 1965) and Reverend James Jeffcoat, Sr.
Reverend J. D. Brown was elected in 1936 and served until 1958. At the onset of Reverend Brown's leadership, our church organizations were limited to ‘one choir’ - the Senior Choir, the Willing Workers' Club, the Missionary Society Club and an Ushers' Board. During his tenure, Reverend Brown was instrumental in the construction of the present building. A cornerstone was placed in the brick structure that was completed in 1952.
In the early 1950's during Reverend Brown leadership, the church acquired an additional choir. This was the Junior Choir, which was originally organized by Sister Willie Mae Jones Smalls. The group was reorganized in 1958 and served for many years as of the Jones Chapel Gospel Choir. In the mid to late 1950's, Sister Smalls with the help of Sister Annette Jones Wright, as the musician, organized the first Children's Choir. The group was short-lived but did allow the tots-to-teens to be involved in the worship services.
Reverend J. D. Dash was elected in 1959 and served until 1961. He was instrumental in organizing the first youth department at Jones Chapel. While Reverend Dash worked with the young men, his wife, Sister Esther Dash worked with the young women. Together the male and female groups were known as the "Starlight Club."
The following deacons and trustees have served during or since the establishment of the church. The deacons were Deacon Ben Griddle, Deacon Mazalon Parker, Deacon Dink Thomas, Deacon Spencer Pauling, Sr., Deacon Matthew Pough, Deacon Shedrick Davis, Deacon Jeff Pauling, Deacon Henry Dykes, Deacon Marion Murph, (Chairman), Deacon Coleman Jones, Sr., Deacon David Murph, and Deacon George D. Jones, Jr. The trustees were Brother Shedrick Thomas, Brother William Jennings, (Chairman) and Brother W. T. Colter.
Reverend James Jeffcoat, Sr., was elected in February 1966. His service extended through October 2000. Under the leadership of Reverend James Jeffcoat, the church underwent several remodeling and expansion projects.
The following officers were added to our leadership roster: Deacon Robert E. Jones, Brother John C. Glover, Brother Harold K. Hailey, Brother Arthur L. Jones, Brother Harry L. Lewis, Brother Clarence Livingston, Brother T. J. Ross, Brother Charlie Jones, Brother Samuel Jones, Brother Lawson Day, Brother Hurley Johnson, Brother Alvern Murph, Brother Franklin Rice, Brother Nicholas L. Jones, Deacon Elmore Bryant, Deacon Carl G. Johnson, Brother Edward Lewis, and Brother John McNeil.
In 1974, the sanctuary was renovated along with the erection of the Education Hall. Serving as deacons during the 1974 renovations were: Deacon George D. Jones, Jr., (Chairman); Deacon Coleman Jones, Sr., Deacon Joseph W. Rice, Jr., Deacon Lealather Mayers, II, Deacon Isaiah Sistrunk, Jr. Serving as trustees during the 1974 renovations were: Brother Willie Jennings, (Chairman); Brother Lealather Mayers, Sr., Brother Charlie Jones, Brother Alvern Riley, Brother Jeremiah Glover, Brother Franklin Jones, Brother Kenneth Hailey, Brother David Jones and Brother Paul Lewis.
In 1970, Sister Frances Thomas Sistrunk organized a young adult choir who took on the name of the Junior Choir. The name was later changed from the Junior Choir to the Inspirational Choir. In January 1993, the Inspirational Choir merged with the Senior Choir and functioned as the Senior - Inspirational Choir. Sister Sistrunk was also instrumental in organizing the Sunbeam Choir in the early 1980s. The choir, although no longer functioning, later changed its name to the J & J Choral Ensemble.
In 1988, 1995, 1996 and 2000, additional enhancements were made to the church. These enhancements included the expansion of the choir-stand and the Educational Hall. The Educational Hall was enlarged to the present Fellowship Hall, which is now suited to multi-purpose activities. The baptismal pool and the kitchen area were modernized and moved to their present locations, along with the addition of clerical staff offices, meeting and conference rooms.
Over the years, Jones Chapel gained the following groups that have functioned and/or are still functioning. They are the Ladies Auxiliary, the Missionary Society, and Pulpit Aide now functioning as The Pastor’s Aide Committee with Sister Pearl McNeil as President. The Gospel Choir, the Senior - Inspirational Choir, the Children's Choir now functioning as the Angelic Choir, the Mass Choir, the Spiritual Voices of Praise Choir and the Male Chorus, which began with Deacon Harry L. Lewis, Sr. President. Brother Curtis Lewis serves as the Male Chorus current President. There is the Deaconess Board with its first president of record as Sister Flossie Murph. Sister Mildred H. Rice is the current Deaconess Board President. The Youth Department; the Brotherhood now functioning as the Progressive Men’s Ministry and of course our Sunday School from the onset of the Jones Chapel Baptist Church. Although many have led the Sunday School Department, Sister Patricia Young is the current Sunday School Superintendent. The New Inspiration Choir formed late 2011 and served only a couple years, is no longer functioning but is still prayerful that the young adult group will rise again.
Jones Chapel has grown from worship services twice a month to having worship services every Sunday. On Wednesday before each fifth Sunday, there is a mid-week fellowship with the Mt. Pisgah Union, which is one of our affiliates. We are also affiliated with the Mt. Olive Sunday School Congress of Christian Education, the Mt. Olive Baptist Association and Mt. Olive Corporation.
In 2000, Jones Chapel Baptist Church was Incorporated (Inc.)
On September 15, 2001, Reverend Bryce D. Jamison was elected and is currently serving as pastor of Jones Chapel. Since Reverend Jamison’s acceptance as pastor, he has been instrumental in the enhancement and/or the formation of several new organizations and ministries. They are 1.) The Seniors Ministry with Sister Sylvia
Myers as its first Director. Deacon Isaiah Sistrunk is the current Director. 2.) The Singles Ministry with Sister Shuntá Hailey as its first Director. Sister Monica Hailey is the current director. 3.) The Ladies Auxiliary evolved into the Missionary Society with Sister Dorothy Augustus as its first presiding officer. Because of their distinct services, the group was again separated and currently functions with Sister Belinda Hickson as President of the Ladies Auxiliary and Sister Mary Lewis as President of the Missionary Society. 4.) The Out-Reach Ministry is currently spearheaded by Reverend Harry Lewis. 5.) The Youth Department and the informal Youth Advisory Board was transformed into a formal Youth Ministry with Deacon Harry L. Lewis, Sr., as the first Director. Sister Margaret L. Jones is the current Youth Ministry Director. 6.) There is an active Couples Ministry with Deacon Harry L. Lewis, Sr., as President. On May 1, 2006, Reverend Harry Lewis was appointed to chair the Visitation Committee.
The present Executive Board members are: Deacon Isaiah Sistrunk, Jr. (Chairman of the Board of Deacons Ministry); Deacon Joseph W. Rice, Jr. (Assistant Chairman of the Board of Deacons Ministry), Deacon Robert E. Jones (Church Clerk); Deacon Willie Hampton, Deacon Carlos Lewis, Deacon Harry L. Lewis, Sr., Deacon Henry Lewis and Deacon John D. McNeil. Other board members include Brother Harold K. Hailey (Chairman of the Board of Trustees Ministry); Brother Nicholas L. Jones, (Assistant Chairman of the Board of Trustees Ministry and Assistant Church Clerk); Brother Reginald G. Hailey (Treasurer); Sister Mildred H. Rice (Assistant Treasurer), Sister Barbara Charley, Brother Kenneth B. Hailey, Brother Willie Jennings (officially celebrated as Trustee Emeritus on March 26, 2017), Brother David Jones, Brother Franklin Jones, Brother Alvern Murph, and Sister Patricia H. Young.